People Tell Me I Look Like Han Solo.
Monday, July 14, 2008
  See This Movie: Hellboy II
I got some news this morning that made me very happy: Hellboy II: The Golden Army came in tops at the box office this weekend. Normally I'm not all that interested in the box office side of things, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, I was concerned that Hellboy II might get lost in the summer-blockbuster churn. I'm happy to say my $10 was among the $35.9 million it made over the weekend, and it's my new frontrunner for Best Movie of the Summer (not to mention my new frontrunner for Best Movie of 2008). As stoked as I am about The Dark Knight, I'd be absolutely stunned if that movie (which I still expect to be excellent-to-amazing) surpasses what Guillermo del Toro has accomplished with his sequel. I've been thinking about it since I saw it, and I can't wait to see it again.

I don't remember the last time I was so thoroughly entertained by a movie: the plot was engaging, the characters were pretty much uniformly well-rounded and compelling (any time your villain has at least a somewhat valid point in his/her motivations, that's a much greater bonus than a lot of screenwriters seem to realize), the story bopped along at a great pace, the parts that were supposed to be funny were hilarious (the scene where Hellboy and Abe Sapien get hammered and talk about the ladies in their respective lives while drunkenly crooning Barry Manilow tunes is magic), and the action was the best I've seen so far this summer, eclipsing even Wanted and The Incredible Hulk (as much as I loved my second-favourite movie this summer, Iron Man, I can't really disagree with the knock against it that the action stuff wasn't as mind-blowing as it could/should have been, but whatever, it's still a better overall movie than Wanted or Hulk). I know The Dark Knight is the movie that everyone's talking about, but trust me, Hellboy II is worth your time.

previous post

Labels: , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
A blog about movies, by a guy who probably watches too many.

Archives
April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]