People Tell Me I Look Like Han Solo.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
  Trailers for Iron Man 2, Robin Hood
There’s a pair of new trailers out this week for movies coming this summer (well, I guess it’s spring technically, but May is summer in the world of movies) that I’m particularly excited about. The first is the second trailer for Iron Man 2 (which I’m so stoked about I’m trying not to think about it too much), and, of course, it looks awesome. There’s a bunch of stuff in this new trailer that’s got the Marvel geek in me insanely primed (the suit-in-a-suitcase gag, lifted directly from the classic comics; the apparent promise that Mickey Rourke will don a something closer to a full suit of armor at some point; Downey and Cheadle kicking the crap out of a bunch of robots; I could go on and on), and it’s clear that director Jon Favreau and company responded to the common criticism leveled against the first Iron Man that there wasn’t enough action. The only X-factor for me is Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow, because the Black Widow is supposed to be Russian, and Johansson is a bad enough actress as it is without trying to handle a Russian accent. But that’s a minor concern considering the amount of robot suits and lasers this movie promises. Iron Man 2 opens on May 2.




Next up is Ridley Scott’s re-teaming with Gladiator star Russell Crowe for a new take on Robin Hood. I’ve been fascinated by medieval stories since I was a little kid, Robin Hood in particular (I loved the Kevin Costner movie when I was 9), and Scott, one of my favorite filmmakers, already made an excellent (and underrated) movie set in the period in 2005’s Kingdom of Heaven (it’s a really great Middle Ages epic, or at least the Director’s Cut is; I never saw the terribly-reviewed theatrical cut). As much as I was pretty lukewarm on the idea of another Robin Hood movie when I first heard about the project (particularly Scott’s and Crowe’s involvement; it felt like they were revisiting Gladiator territory), and I was so-so with the first teaser, this new full-length trailer finally grabbed my interest. It looks more epic than I expected a Robin Hood film to, and Cate Blanchett (probably the best actress working today) classing up the joint as Maid Marian certainly helps matters. Robin Hood hits theatres May 14.





previous post

Labels: , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
A blog about movies, by a guy who probably watches too many.

Archives
April 2008 / May 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / September 2008 / October 2008 / November 2008 / December 2008 / January 2009 / February 2009 / March 2009 / April 2009 / May 2009 / June 2009 / July 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / November 2009 / December 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]